New firmware for the EOS R and EOS RP - as good as Sony AF?
New firmware is out for the Canon EOS R and the EOS RP, and initial reports are suggesting it's nearly as good as the current Sony autofocus. This seems to be a huge step forward for EOS RP and EOS R users, and now looks like we have some stiff competition between Sony and Canon.
The EOS RP firmware can be downloaded here
You can download the firmware for the EOS R here
Firmware 1.4 (or 1.3 for the RP) has the following enhancements and notes;
- Firmware Version 1.4.0 incorporates the following enhancement:
1. Enhances eye detection Auto Focus (AF) for improved face and eye recognition at greater distances.
2. Improved Auto Focus (AF) performance helps the camera to focus on and track smaller subjects.
3. Reduces lag time between the actual Auto Focus (AF) and the AF frame display for images in the viewfinder or on the LCD.
4. Fixes a phenomenon in which the AF frame size cannot be changed in the Servo AF setting.
5. Fixes PTP communication vulnerability.
This firmware update is for cameras equipped with firmware up to Version 1.3.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.4.0, this update is unnecessary.
When updating the firmware of your camera, please first review the instructions thoroughly.
It will take about 6 minutes to update the firmware.
You can download the latest version of the instruction manual from our Web site.
Preparations for the Firmware Update:
After the downloaded compressed file (.zip file) is extracted, a firmware folder is created.
In the firmware Version 1.4.0 folder you downloaded are the firmware (File name: EOSR0140.FIR /File size: 33,940,256 bytes) and the instructions on the firmware update procedures (a PDF file in five languages: Japanese, English, French, Spanish, and Simplified Chinese). Before starting the firmware update operations, please be sure to carefully review these instructions.
(The following is the history of past firmware updates.)
Q: Are the improvements from previous firmware versions included in Firmware Version 1.4.0?
A: Yes, the following improvements from the previous version are included:
(Previous) Version 1.3.0 improvements:
1. Support for the RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM lens has been added.
(Previous) Version 1.2.0 improvements:
1. Supports Servo AF when shooting still images.
2. Now available when shooting movies regardless of "Movie Servo AF" setting.
Small AF Frame Size
Supports Servo AF when shooting still images.
3. Now available when shooting movies regardless of "Movie Servo AF" setting.
4. Under certain conditions the electronic level displayed in the electronic viewfinder did not display properly.
5. Under certain conditions information displayed in the electronic viewfinder was not properly rotated.
6. Under certain conditions updating the firmware for the wireless file transmitter WFT-E7 was not possible.
(Previous) Version 1.1.0 improvements:
1. Support for "continuous shooting" is available when "silent shutter" has been enabled. *)
2. Corrects a phenomenon in which an error may occur if there is a large number of files in a specific format on the memory card.
3. Corrects a phenomenon in which an error may occur when silent shutter has been enabled.
4. Corrects a phenomenon in which horizontal linear noise may occur when using specific lenses together with certain recording image quality settings.
5. Corrects a phenomenon in which the information displayed in the viewfinder may become abnormal.
*) When using the continuous shooting option when silent shutter has been enabled with the RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM lens, it may be necessary to update the lens' firmware version. If the lens' firmware version is Version 1.1.1, please download the latest firmware version (Version 2.0.0) or later from Canon's Web site to update the lens firmware.
Just how good is Firmware 1.4? - many say it gives Sony a run for its money.
Here are some videos describing the update
This post may contain affiliate links(s). An affiliate link means I may earn advertising/referral fees if you make a purchase through my link, without any additional cost to you
. It helps to keep this site afloat. Thank you in advance for your support. If you like what we do here, maybe buy me a coffee.